Sunday, February 7, 2010

Know your Meme: RAMIREZ, DO EVERYTHING!!!




If you're a male college student like me, you probably just sit around drinking beer and playing copious amounts of Modern Warfare 2. While I mostly play online, I have dabbled in the campaign mode. This is where the origins of the meme started. As you play through the game, Seargent Foley constantly orders Private Ramirez (the person you play as) to do all sorts of demanding tasks.




The meme started where most memes start...www.4chan.org. It was originally seen on the /v/ (videogame) board. The first piture depicting this meme was a picture of Private Ramirez's face with the words, "Ramirez" on top, and "Do everything" on the bottom. The earliest known template for the meme on http://www.memegenerator.com/ was posted on Nov. 19th 2009. With that in place people would start telling Ramirez to do absurd, impossible, or everyday mundane things. Everyone loved it on the /v/ board and began showing up on other boards, particularly video game message boards such as Gamefaqs and Gamespot.

I think this meme is pretty funny because when you watch the youtube video of all the things Foley tells you do one after the other, it's just like, man get off Ramirez's back. As of February 2010, the meme has spawned 10,000 variations. Because of this meme, when we play Modern Warfare 2, I tell my friends to do over the top things, and then I get empties thrown at me. Worth it. Good meme.




No comments:

Post a Comment